We are delighted to introduce you to our wonderful team of experts, who have stepped up to the challenge of resolving key scientific and clinical problems in Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy (DCM). We came together on Zoom for our inaugural Steering Committee meeting on 4 October 2022, to strategise and guide the charity’s scientific initiatives going forward.
This is a very exciting time for Myelopathy.org, as we grow as a charity and forge ahead not only with our education and support activities, but also with our scientific and clinical research. The research arm of the charity emerged from Dr Benjamin Davies and Dr Mark Kotter’s RECODE-DCM initiative and now encompasses several projects to address the Top 10 Research Priorities for DCM. These include DCM COINS (Core Information Sets), the Diagnostic Criteria incubator, the Perioperative Rehabilitation incubator, Natural History Incubator, POLYFIX-DCM, RECEDE-Myelopathy, MoveMed, and more. Watch this space!
We are forever grateful to AO Spine Knowledge Forum Spinal Cord Injury for establishing the RECODE-DCM initiative. This multidisciplinary, collaborative project would not have been possible without their expert guidance, financial support and management. We particularly thank their senior project manager, Olesja Hazenbiller, who has been a source of tremendous inspiration and momentum. We are very pleased to say that Olesja will remain close to the project as a mentor to Myelopathy.org.
RECODE-DCM Steering Committee
- David Anderson, physiotherapist, Australia
- Tammy Blizzard, person with DCM, USA
- Tim Boerger, person with DCM, USA
- Chad Cook, physiotherapist, USA
- Sheila Dugan, person with DCM, USA
- Michael Fehlings, neurosurgeon, Canada
- Julio Furlan, neurologist, Canada
- James Guest, neurosurgeon, USA
- Manabu Ito, orthopaedic surgeon, Japan
- Sukhvinder Kalsi-Ryan, physiotherapist, Canada
- Mark Kotter, neurosurgeon and co-founder of Myelopathy.org, UK
- Abdul Lalkhen, pain specialist, UK
- Anna MacDowall, orthopaedic surgeon, Sweden
- Allan Martin, neurosurgeon, USA
- Esther Martin-Moore, person with DCM, UK
- James Milligan, family doctor, USA
- Aria Nouri, neurosurgeon, Switzerland
- Iwan Sadler, person with DCM and co-founder of Myelopathy.org, UK
- Lindsay Tetreault, neurologist, USA
- Caroline Treanor, physiotherapist, UK
- Luiz Vialle, orthopaedic surgeon, Brazil
- Lianne Wood, physiotherapist, UK
- Carl Zipser, neurologist, Switzerland
- Ben Davies, surgeon-scientist and co-founder of Myelopathy.org, UK
- Olesja Hazenbiller, mentor and senior project manager, AO Spine, Switzerland
- Liz Roberts, RECODE-DCM project manager, Myelopathy.org, UK
- Irina Sangeorzan, DCM-COINS project manager, Myelopathy.org, UK
- Helen Wood, Chair of the Board of Trustees, Myelopathy.org, UK
Our diverse membership brings in different specialities and nationalities alongside people living with DCM, all with deep knowledge of the condition. Look out for our upcoming interview blogs, to discover more about them. We could not be more grateful to them for stepping up to support us! Working together, our RECODE-DCM Steering Committee is determined to create a brighter future for all those living and working with DCM.