Podcast presenters Dr Benjamin Davies and Dr Michelle Starkey. Ben says of the ‘Myelopathy Matters’ series, “A critical part of knowledge discovery is having an active and invested global research community, who collaborate and build on each other’s work. The opportunity to hear from leading researchers in their own words really elevates this message and will, I hope, help to build that community.”
The official charity podcast series ‘Myelopathy Matters’ was established by Dr Benjamin Davies in 2019, in partnership with Cambridge TV, as an outreach initiative to expand the Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy (DCM) community. Podcasts have many advantages for our listener base: they are easy on the eyes and limbs; they are freely accessible across many platforms; and they are engaging for the community.
Our partners AO Spine were keen to collaborate, and in 2020 they took over the ‘Myelopathy Matters’ podcast stream with their series ‘AO Spine Research Top 10’. These episodes achieved more than 10,000 listens in the first two months of their release; an extraordinary response, confirming the podcasts’ enormous outreach potential.
Our partnership with AO Spine continued and in 2021 the latest series ‘AO Spine Research Top Tips’ was released, to share expertise and raise awareness of this currently impoverished research field.
In each podcast episode we hear from selected leading voices in the research field, as well as the people who live with DCM. By bringing these voices together, the podcast serves to expand and stimulate the global DCM community to solve DCM.
Want to hear more? Myelopathy.org is committed to raising awareness of DCM, and we aim to produce more scientific and informative podcasts as our charity grows. Your donation could help us to fund these outreach initiatives.
The charity’s official podcast aims to bring together professionals, researchers, people with myelopathy and their supporters to talk all things DCM.
- Series 1 Episode 1 – AO Spine RECODE-DCM
- Series 1 Episode 2 – Moving On
- Series 1 Episode 3 – Naming Myelopathy
- Series 1 Episode 4 – Meet the Trustees
- Series 1 Episode 5 – Michael Fehlings and RECODE-DCM
- Series 2 Episode 1 – Poverty & Myelopathy
- Series 2 Episode 2 – Pain & the Feeling Brain (Part 1)
- Series 2 Episode 3 – Pain & The Feeling Brain (Part 2)
- Series 2 Episode 4 – Age & Myelopathy
- Series 2 Episode 5 – Education & Myelopathy – Knowledge is power?
- Series 2 Episode 6 – Nutrition & Myelopathy – A simple and safe opportunity?
- Series 2 Episode 7 – Front or back surgery for myelopathy with Dr Zoher Ghogawala
- Series 2 Episode 8 – The Pain-free mindset with Dr Deepak Ravindran
- Series 2 Episode 9 – CSF Pressure Monitoring with Carl Zipser
AO Spine Research Top 10
In-depth exploration of the Top 10 Research Priorities determined during the AO Spine RECODE-DCM study.
- Introducing the RECODE-DCM podcast
- No. 1 – Raising Awareness
- No. 2 – Natural History
- No. 3 – Diagnostic Criteria
- No. 4 – Assessment & Monitoring
- No. 5 – Biological Basis
- No. 6 – Peri-Operative Rehab
- No. 7 – Novel Therapies
- No. 8 – Socio-economic Impact
- No. 9 – Imaging & Neurophysiology
- No. 10 – Individualising Surgery
- Festive Special – Behind the Scenes at AO Spine RECODE-DCM
AO Spine Research Top Tips
Broadcasting the voices of selected leading researchers, with the goal of helping and inspiring new entrants to the field of DCM research.
- Tips 1 – Brian Kwon – Winning Research Funding
- Tips 2 – Michael Fehlings – Clinical Trials: Concept, Design and Execution
- Tips 3 – Jamie Wilson – Transitions in Career Pathways
- Tips 4 – Shekar Kurpad – Combining Academic and Clinical Practice
- Tips 5 – Toto Gronlund and Mark Kotter – Public and Patient Involvement