Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On InstagramVisit Us On YoutubeCheck Our Feed

Disabilities Benefits & Advice UK

What Help is Available?

Living with long-term conditions like Cervical Myelopathy may well have an impact on your financial situation. 

If you are suffering from this chronic condition and disabled due to myelopathy, there are a number of different benefits and tax credits you may be able to claim, please find the relevant information below.

  • For people aged 16 – 64 who have had a disability or long-term health condition for at least three months, which is likely to continue for at least nine months after your claim.
  • Points system assesses how your condition affects your ability to cope with daily life and mobility.
    If awarded, there is a daily living component and a mobility component. Each has two rates; standard and enhanced.
  • Not affected by income or savings, not taxable and you can get it whether in work or not.
  • Claiming Personal Independence Payment can guide you through the process of applying for PIP.

Learn more

  • Payable to people unable to work because of ill health or disability.
  • Requires a medical certificate (‘fit note’) from your GP to make a claim.
  • You will be required to fill out a medical questionnaire, attend a medical assessment and a work-focused interview.
  • This is intended to determine your capability to work. It is possible to challenge the decision.

How to claim Employment and Support

  • For people aged 65 and over who have a health condition which has lasted at least six months.
  • Entitlement is based on care needs resulting from how your health affects your everyday life.
  • Not affected by any income or savings you have; payable alongside any other benefits (except Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments). You do not have to have paid national insurance contributions.
  • Citizens Advice and Age UK have information about Attendance Allowance and the process of applying for AA.

Learn more

Financial help for those helping to care for you at least 35 hours per week Carer’s Allowance

Learn More

Advice for claiming what you may be entitled to for Benefits & Work . 

Learn More

A grant to help you convert your home if in need of adaptations Disabled Facilities Grant​​​.

Learn more


Disabled Students’ Allowance

Advice for those who need help whilst studying.

Learn more 

Warm Home Discount Scheme

A yearly scheme that can help save £140 off the cost of your electricity bill if eligible from participating suppliers.

Learn more

Winter Fuel Payment

A yearly scheme for eligible individuals to receive between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay for heating bills if they were born on or before 5 May 1953 (this date changes each year).

Learn more

Watersure Scheme

Help for eligible people to pay their water bills, namely those on benefits, those who need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because their household has a certain number of school-age children. You also need to be on a water meter or be waiting to have one installed. Apply directly via your regional supplier.

Learn more

Watersure Wales

As above for customers of Welsh Water but you don’t have to be on a meter. 

Learn more

Prescription Prepayment Certificate

Helps to spread the cost of prescription charges for those needing multiple items but not eligible for free prescriptions.

Learn more

Cold Weather Payment

For people in receipt of eligible benefits who receive a payment if the average temperature in their area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below for 7 consecutive days

Learn more

​Home Ownership for People with Long-term Disabilities (HOLD)

Help and advice for those who wish to purchase their own home.

Learn more

Access to free prescriptions for those with long term health conditions, primarily:

  • permanent fistulae;
  • hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s Disease);
  • diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism;
  • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone;
  • hypoparathyroidism;
  • myasthenia gravis;
  • myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement);
  • epilepsy which needs continuous anti-convulsive therapy;
  • a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person;
  • cancer and are undergoing treatment for: cancer;
  • the effects of cancer or the effects of cancer treatment.

Apply for a certificate via your GP or Consultant – ask for a FP92A form.

Learn more

Helpful Organisations that can help you with your cause

Citizens Advice Bureau – advice about how to claim and assistance available to claim, specific to which part of the UK you live in. Learn more 

Disability Rights UK – loads of factsheets and advice to download & peruse at you leisure. Learn more 

Turn 2 Us – national charity helping people to check their benefit entitlements & source other financial help & grants they may be eligible for. Learn more

Information kindly collated and presented by Shirley Widdop.

Please note: Although Myelopathy Support aims to be a reliable source of information, we cannot accept any responsibility for the information provided. We also do not assume any responsibility for the use or content of any product or service mentioned. is not responsible for any third-party content referenced, displayed or linked to or on the internet site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the site. Use of any such linked website is at the user’s own risk.